1/3 Photos of Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
1 hr 10 mins
This is a really quick and easy recipe. Most of all its healthy, moist and tasty. The recipe has been in the family as long as I can remember. Not really sure where it came from. Kids still ask for it when they're coming home from college on the weekend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (2 large or 3 small)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or 1/4 cup yogurt or 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup carob chips or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until very light and creamy.
- 3Beat in egg.
- 4Add vanilla extract and blend, set aside.
- 5Into a medium bowl or on a sheet of wax paper sift together whole wheat, unbleached flours and baking soda.
- 6In a small bowl blend buttermilk and mashed banana.
- 7Add dry ingredients alternately with the banana mixture to the butter mixture.
- 8Stirring just enought to combine well.
- 9Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips, raisins if you like.
- 10Turn into a greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pan or bundt cake pan.
- 11Bake for 50-55 minutes on middle rack.
- 12Until tooth pick comes out clean.
- 13Let cool in pan for 5- 10 minutes.
- 14Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- 15After it is cooled just a light dusting with icing sugar if you like.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.6
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 225.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: