Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a really quick and easy recipe. Most of all its healthy, moist and tasty. The recipe has been in the family as long as I can remember. Not really sure where it came from. Kids still ask for it when they're coming home from college on the weekend.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (2 large or 3 small)
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup yogurt or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until very light and creamy.
- Beat in egg.
- Add vanilla extract and blend, set aside.
- Into a medium bowl or on a sheet of wax paper sift together whole wheat, unbleached flours and baking soda.
- In a small bowl blend buttermilk and mashed banana.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the banana mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stirring just enought to combine well.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips, raisins if you like.
- Turn into a greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pan or bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes on middle rack.
- Until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5- 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- After it is cooled just a light dusting with icing sugar if you like.
This is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe, Marlitt. You can make it even more healthy by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the butter, dropping the calories per serving down to around 200 calories.
This recipe turned out wonderful! Just as moist and flavorful as a regular banana bread recipe. Will definitely use this as my regular banana bread recipe.
This was delicious and moist, though I did make a few adjustments to make it more healthy. I used all whole wheat flour, replaced the butter with 1/2 c. flaxseed meal and 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce, and I used 1/3 c. honey in place of the brown sugar. And I made them into muffins... (baked at 375 for 20 minutes and came out with 16 muffins) half with pecans and half without for my kids--who absolutely loved them. I think the yogurt made them extra moist. Thanks!