These tasty morsels come from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking. I typically sub in either 1/2 cup to 1 cup of white flour to lighten them up a little. These will disappear from your breakfast table faster than you realize! My toddler gobbles these up!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick or 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the banana, honey and eggs, beating until smooth.
- Add the flour about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until just mixed.
- Add chocolate chips, stirring until smooth.
- Divide batter into the muffin cups, filling to the top. Bake about 23-28 minutes.
- Remove from oven and after a couple of minutes transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
This is such a tasty recipie and oh so healthy! My two year old eats these right up!!! I also add 1/2 cup of pumpkin, instead of using so much butter, I use 1/2 cup of applesauce and 1/2 stick of butter...it also gives my kid more fruit. If you want to take a little bit of the flour out, I put 1/2 cup of rolled oats. We also use the CACOA chocoate chips for an even healthier muffin. YUMMY!!!!
Just made this, soo yum. My kids love it. Perfect for my kids lunchbox..
Made these with organic spelt flour and cinnamon chips instead of the chocolate. I also added an equal amount of pecans (yum!) The only other addition was to sprinkle the tops with Starrynew's Spiced Sugar, which is a staple lightly sprinkled on muffins and quick breads since I discovered it! Hadice, I love these muffins - next time I'll make them with the choc chips and take them into work, I'm sure they'll be adored! Made for Veggie Swap August.