Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like using whole wheat for fiber content and tweaked another banana recipe I found, then decided to add some added flavors and texture like brown sugar, sliced almonds and vanilla extract. These pancakes turn out super fluffy and it's like a reward biting into an almond every now and then.
- 1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons light flavor olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, the darker the better
- 1⁄4 tablespoon butter
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and sift into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas; then add the milk, egg yolk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir flour mix and almonds into banana mix, batter will be lumpy.
- Beat egg white until foamy and fold into the batter.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto a hot griddle.
- Cook until you see bubbles coming through and flip, the pancake will be golden brown.
- Lightly smear butter on top.
- Once the pancake is fluffy and brown on the other side take off griddle, smear butter on that side and serve!