Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
In '300 Best Bread Machine Recipes' by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
1 1/2 Pound Loaf
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- Measure all ingredients except raisins into baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Insert pan into the oven chamber.
- Select Whole Wheat Cycle; press start.
- Add the raisins at the "add ingredient" signal.
- When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.
- **If your bread machine does not have an "add ingredient" signal on the Whole Wheat Cycle, add the raisins on top of the flour--or check the manufacturer's directions for use--then set a timer for 5 minutes before the end of the second long knead.