Recipe by CorianneCooks
My favorite cookie recipe! These are moist, chewy and delicious. Because most of the sweetness and the moisture comes from the applesauce rather than fat or sugar, not to mention the whole-wheat flour, I don't feel guilty about sneaking one or two of these for breakfast!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce (I prefer unsweetened, but any kind can be used)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup other dried fruit
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream sugar and shortening until well blended.
- Stir in egg, and beat until smooth.
- Combine applesauce and baking soda, and add to mixture. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flours, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir in egg mixture and blend well.
- Add oatmeal, fruit and nuts, stir until mixture is well moistened.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until done.
- cool on wire rack.