Recipe by Mims & Squims
Lower in fat than a lot of the turnover recipes I've seen, this is my whole grain version of my favorite pastry.
Top Review by headhighheartout
The crust calls for egg whites, sugar, and vinegar, but none of these are mentioned in the instructions. Were they added by accident or something? Also, three apples was way too many apples, I probably really only needed one, maybe two. This isn't a huge deal as I'm saving the extras for apple muffins. I also used sweeter apples so I omitted the sugar and just used the honey.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup egg white
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 granny smith apples, pared & finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 6 teaspoons light margarine
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening, add water.
- Roll 1/8” thick & cut into twelve 4” squares. Set aside.
- Mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt. Drizzle with honey.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon apple mixture in center of each square.
- Dot with 1/2 teaspoon margarine.
- Moisten edges with water, fold into triangle, and press edges together with fork.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Prick top with fork.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 400°F.