Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure where I got this recipe. I've had it for a while, but it's very good. It's especially good warm, right out of the oven with butter. Yum.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1⁄3 cup dark seedless raisins
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 12 standard-size muffin-pan cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Make well in center.
- Stir together buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites and canola oil in a small bowl. Pour buttermilk mixture into well of dry ingredients. Stir just until evenly moistened. Do not over mix. Gently fold in apple and raisins. Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers of muffins comes out clean. Turn muffins out onto wire rack to cool.