Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of my favourite snack cakes. Very moist. Lots of flavour.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 apples
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in nuts.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Stir in vanilla.
- Peel, core, and chop apples. You should have about 3 cups.
- Stir dry mixture and milk alternately into creamed mixture, starting and ending with dry mixture, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of milk.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Bake in the greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, or until a tester poked in the centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan before cutting. Cut into 32 pieces.
I made this cake exactly to the recipe, and it turned out really well! Very moist, but not very sweet, so I made a glaze and drizzled it on top. It really balanced the overly sweet glaze. Very good!
I love this cake! So nice to have whole wheat dessert recipes. I thought it was plenty sweet just as is and will definitely make it again.
I made according to recipe and it was very tasty. Not too sweet and very moist. Yum :o)