Recipe by Roosie
Angel food cake is often a favorite dessert of dieters because it is very low in fat. This version is even healthier because it is made with whole wheat. I adapted this version slightly from a recipe floating around the internet, but I believe the original recipe was put out by Hodgson Mill. I have not tried this, but I did compare it with other highly-rated angel food cake recipes on 'Zaar and the proportions and instructions do seem correct. Prep time does not include seperating all those eggs!!
Top Review by Celtic cook
I have made this one several times already and it is one of my favorites as it has high protien egg whites, whole fiber and very light and tasty! Great for breakfast with fresh fruit on top. I had no problems with the recipe, great way to use up extra eggs when you have happy chickens :-). Thanks for sharing this one!
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour or 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- If you're not using whole wheat pastry flour, whirr the flour in a blender, food processor or other grinder until fine (This might be kind of hard, but it won't be the end of the world if its not super-fine).
- Sift together flour and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Mix in 3/4 cup sugar with a fork or wisk.
- You want this to be aerated, so you can probably even sift in the sugar with the cornstarch and flour, if you want.
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and add salt and cream of tartar.
- Beat until whites form soft peaks.
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and extract (s) and beat until mixed.
- Not beating, gently fold in about 1/3 of flour mixture at a time (a large rubber spatula is best for this).
- Pour into angel food cake pan and bake for about 1 hour or until cake is springy when poked.
- Invert to cool and allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan.