Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Made with whole wheat and oat flours, this whole grain biscotti is a nourishing backpack or breakfast snack. It is exclente with various dried fruits; figs, dates or apricots.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitute )
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs or 3 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 8 drops almond oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole almond, unblanched
- 1 cup dried fruits, chopped (figs, dates or apricots ) (optional) or 1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs on med. speed for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and beat until combined.
- Mix in almonds and dried fruits or chocolate chips ( if desired ).
- Stir in combined flours, salt and baking powder.
- Shape the dough in a 16-inch long log on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten the log, using wet hands, until about 2-inches thick.
- Bake the log for 20 minutes in a 350°F preheated oven.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1-inch thick slices.
- Bake slices in a 325°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Note: You can skip the use of oat flour and use another 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour.
this is an excellent base recipe for biscotti. i really like the fact that it's whole wheat and oat flours. i plan on also trying this recipe with spelt. however, the recipe did not call for any kind of leavening? i added 1.5 tsp of aluminum free baking soda. i also did not add the almond extract, and used 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries and 1 cup chopped pistachios. even my husband - who doesn't like pistachios - this this is quite good. worth trying and worth playing with. thanks, chef glaucia!