Recipe by twissis
DH is an avid fisherman & our freezer has a near endless supply of trout he catches in the summer. We're also fond of eggplant & I have a cookbook devoted to it. I found this recipe at the Food Network site & it has been a favorite for yrs now. The recipe uses whole trout cooked on a grill, but DH usually filets our trout b4 freezing. In that case, I oven-broil the trout to an almost flaky state, spread the dressing atop the filets & complete the dish under the broiler to finish cooking the trout & heat the dressing. This is incredibly good & worth the extra effort. Enjoy!
Top Review by The Flying Chef
This was excellent!!!! I made it with salmon instead of trout, as I find the trout I have bought here in Switzerland is so full of bones even after filleting. I did it as twissis listed in the note and topped the salmon with the eggplant and bacon mix.. The topping was truly delicious. I loved the combination of flavours and it went so well with the fish. I served ours over asparagus and it made for a totally delicious meal.. A winner for us and we will be enjoying this often as I really loved how this came together and the wonderful taste with every bite!!!!
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces bacon (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 medium eggplant (diced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb (such as parsley, basil, tarragon & chervil, finely chopped)
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1 (2 -3 lb) trout (cleaned)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of (may sub lime)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread in lrg glass dish. Pour water over bread & allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a lrg skillet over med heat, cook bacon till crisp. Remove w/a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels & set aside.
- Add onion to skillet & cook 2 minutes. Add eggplant, season w/salt & cayenne & cook till wilted (about 4 min). Remove the pan from the heat, turn the mixture into a mixing bowl & cool completely.
- Remove the bread from the water & squeeze out all the water.
- Add the bread, bacon & garlic to the eggplant mixture & mix well. Stir in the herb mixture + cheese & set aside.
- Preheat grill & season trout w/salt & cayenne.
- Place the trout in the center of a piece of foil. Spoon the dressing into the cavity of the trout. Add the wine & wrap the trout tightly in the foil, forming a pouch.
- Place the trout on the grill over a low flame & cook 25-30 min or till flaky.
- Remove from the grill, squeeze lemon or lime juice over the trout & serve on a lrg platter. Drizzle the entire plate w/extra-virgin olive oil & garnish w/fresh parsley.