1/2 Photos of Whole Tandoori Chicken
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Simple dish, serve with thinly sliced onion and lemon wedges and/or coriander and mint chutney. The same marinade can be used for chicken tikkas (cubed skinless chicken breasts), chicken drumsticks/legs and even chicken wings.. great for the BBQ.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 kg whole chickens, with skin on
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Clean and dry the chicken, leave the skin on.
- 2In a blender or liquidizer, add in the chopped onion, ginger and garlic and grind to a fine paste.
- 3Pour the onion mixture into a bowl, and add in the rest of the ingredients - ground spices and salt, lemon juice, yoghurt, tomato puree and oil and give it all a thorough mix.
- 4I use the roasting tin that I cook the chicken in, to marinade the chicken as well!
- 5So, line a roasting tin with foil (makes washing up easier!), place the chicken in the roasting tin and pour the marinade onto the chicken and rub it in all over on the outside and the inside as well and cover the tin with another piece of foil.
- 6Refrigerate for at least 8 hours but preferably over-night.
- 7Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/180°C.
- 8Remove the chicken from the fridge and let it stand at room temperature for at least 30-45 mins before cooking (on a warmer day, 30 mins will do).
- 9Place the chicken in the centre shelf of the oven for 1 hour, basting with the juices from the tin half way through.
- 10After 1 hour, take the foil off and return the chicken back to the oven for another 20 minutes basting every 10 minutes to nicely brown and crisp up the skin.
- 11Remove the chicken from the oven and cover with foil and leave it to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Tandoori Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.6
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 229.1 mg
- Sodium 814.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 54.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: