Recipe by UmmAzhar
This recipe is from the BBc's "Saturday Kitchen". It goes well with spicy potatoes and coriander chutney. When I made this, I played around with a bit of the ingredients such as chili powder as I like it a bit spicy.
Top Review by NW Nikki
I thought this was okay. I marinated it for 8 hours, but I would highly suggest overnight because mine had no taste. I increased the spice a lot, but still felt it was missing something.
- 1 (1 1/2 kg) whole chickens
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- 2 tablespoons medium-hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon medium-hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick the chicken all over and make a few slits about 2cm/¾in long on the skin.
- Mix all the remaining chicken ingredients into a smooth paste and rub the marinade generously all over the chicken skin.
- Cover and refrigerate for eight hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin and cover with foil.
- Roast in the centre of the oven for one hour and 30 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, baste with a little of the marinade.
- Remove chicken from the oven and leave in a warm place to rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve either hot or cold.
- My tips -.
- *** Have not included time taken to marinate as it is best to leave it overnight***.
- ***I roasted my chicken in the oven for 40 minutes and once when done, I put it under the grill/broiler and roasted it.***.