2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
When I discovered you could stuff a whole cabbage instead of the individual leaves, I never made "cabbage rolls" again. I find this to be much easier and quicker than stuffing the leaves. It is my favorite way to make stuffed cabbage, and the flavor of the stuffed cabbage leaves is not lost by stuffing the head. NOTE: Different varieties of cabbage may take less time to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1Prepare tomato sauce: In a 3 quart saucepan combine first 6 ingredients.
- 2Over high heat, heat to boiling.
- 3Reduce heat to low, simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- 4While sauce is cooking, prepare cabbage.
- 5Discard any tough outer leaves from cabbage, then carefully remove 2 large leaves and set aside.
- 6Cut out the stem and center of the cabbage, leaving a 1 inch thick shell.
- 7Dice the cabbage you removed from the center of the head.
- 8In a 5 quart Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 cup diced cabbage until meat is browned and cabbage is tender (about 15 minutes).
- 9Stir in rice and 1 cup of tomato sauce, remove from heat.
- 10Fill cabbage shell with meat mixture.
- 11Cover the opening with reserved cabbage leaves, and tie with clean string.
- 12In same dutch oven, stir in water, scraping to loosen brown bits.
- 13Add remaining diced cabbage and tomato sauce to pan.
- 14Place stuffed cabbage head (stem-end down) in sauce; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- 15Reduce heat to low and simmer, basting occasionally, until cabbage is tender (about 1 1/2 hours).
- 16When done, remove from Dutch oven and place cabbage in a deep platter, remove string.
- 17Spoon sauce over cabbage, slice cabbage head into wedges to serve.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Stuffed Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.8
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 900.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 19.3 g