Recipe by Tisme
I found this Chinese inspired chicken recipe in the paper. Chicken represents happiness and marriage. Serving chicken whole signifies family togetherness. The chicken is so sweet and juicy made this way. You will need unwaxed kitchen string for this recipe.
- 1 (2 kg) whole chickens
- 1 lemon, roughly chopped
- 1 piece ginger, 3cm fresh, peeled and finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Place the lemon inside cavity. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish.
- Combine ginger, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, five spice and rice wine in a jug. Pour half this sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Turn the chicken to coat evenly. Cover chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan-forced. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on a wire rack in a baking dish. Roast for 1 1/2 hours, basting with reserved marinade every 15 minutes, or until browned and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. .
- Serve chicken.
- Note ~ Cover chicken loosely with foil if over-browning during cooking.