1/2 Photos of Whole Spice Basmati Pilaf
This is an easy pilaf which is simply left to cook in the oven. The whole spices can be removed before serving if you like. A round cast-iron casserole is the ideal cooking pot; a roasting tin is not suitable. Fragrant and delicious, it makes a great accompaniment to any meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g basmati rice
- 75 g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, split open
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 2 cloves
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely pared in pieces
- 1 orange, zest of, finely pared in pieces
- 500 -600 ml chicken stock or 500 -600 ml water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Rinse the rice.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 3Make a cartouch to fit a medium round casserole dish; cut a circle of greaseproof paper, slightly larger than the dish, and snip a tiny hole in the centre to make a steam vent.
- 4Melt two thirds of the butter in the flameproof casserole dish and saute the onion for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- 5Add the rice and stir well, then add the herbs, whole spices and lemon or orange zest.
- 6Cook for a minute or two.
- 7Bring the stock to a boil, using the larger volume if you prefer a more tender grain.
- 8Mix the stock into the rice along with the salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Press on the cartouche, turning the edges up and pressing them to the side of the pan for a neat fit.
- 10Make sure the vent is visible.
- 11There is no need to cover with a lid.
- 12Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- 13Remove from the oven, allow to stand for 5 minutes, and then remove the cartouch.
- 14Fork through the remaining butter until the rice grains are fluffy and separate, removing the whole spices before serving if you prefer.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Spice Basmati Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.8 mg
- Sodium 875.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
oranges, zest of