Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted by request, from the Catfish Institute!
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) catfish, gutted
- 12 slices fresh ginger, blanched
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- fried mushroom
- enoki mushrooms
- fresh greens
- Make three 2-inch slits on each side of each catfish.
- Stuff each slit with a slice of ginger.
- Pour enough peanut oil into a wok or a large, deep skillet so that it will cover catfish completely when frying.
- Heat oil until sizzling hot.
- Fry catfish in the hot oil, one at a time, turning to cook on all sides until golden brown and crispy and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place on serving plates and squeeze lemon juice over the hot catfish.
- Garnish with fried mushrooms, enoki mushrooms and greens.
- Serve with a bowl of ponzu sauce.
- For Ponzu Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Makes 1 cup.