Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is so good, but does require 24 hours marinating time. The sauce forms a juicy crust around the meat which remains moist and tender.
- 2 kg whole rump steak
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 10 sprigs rosemary
- Put meat into a large glass dish. Combine all remaining ingredients.
- Pour over meat, cover with plastic wrap and leave in fridge 24 hours.
- Drain meat and reserve marinade.
- Sear all sides of meat on barbecue, then turn heat down low and cover cook for 2 hours. (This can be done in the oven if necessary).
- Baste with reserved marinade every so often.
- Rest meat 15 minutes before serving.
I used a sugar free home made bbq sauce to prevent the meat from getting that hard, bitter black crust. Delicious! I also must admit to adding a lot more garlic since my family is BIG on garlic.