Recipe by Lisa1
A recipe from either "Gourmet" or "Bon Appetit" circa 1990. Technically a side dish, but I'd eat these for dinner in my super poor years. The original recipe called for a pinch of sugar per onion, but I never had sugar in the house so have always made them without.
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel onions.
- Place onions on surface root end down. Cut halfway through each onion toward root end into half-inch segments (halfway - keep onion intact).
- Place each onion on a 12" square of foil.
- Dot each onion with 1 tsp of butter.
- Sprinkle each onion with thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumple foil over each onion, leaving a small opening at the top to vent.
- Place the four packets on a baking sheet.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until soft.
- Carefully open packets and serve.