2 hrs 20 mins
This may also be made using a larger roasting chicken however the spice mixture should be increased and the cooking time --- use fresh lemon juice only for this, and for the best flavor remember to keep basting the chicken with the pan juices frequently during cooking --- this chicken is very good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (can use more)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder (can omit if desired)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 lemons, juice of, large whole
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, sliced in half (can use 2 lemons)
- 1In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning with seasoned salt, black pepper, mustard powder and garlic powder.
- 2Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons melted butter and the juice of 2 whole lemons (you may save the lemon skins and add to the cavity of the chicken if desired or discard).
- 3Wash the chicken thoroughly under cold water then pat dry.
- 4Place the chicken onto a rack that is fitted into a greased baking pan.
- 5Rub about 1 tablespoon or a little more of olive oil over the dry chicken.
- 6Sprinkle the inside cavity of the chicken with about 1 teaspoon seasoning mix.
- 7Place the lemon halves and onion inside the cavity (along with the lemon skins if desired).
- 8Tie the legs together with cotton butcher's string.
- 9Rub the outside of the chicken with the remaining spice mix (at this point you may cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours).
- 10Drizzle the olive oil/lemon juice mixture over the top of the chicken.
- 11Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree F oven to about 2 hours or until cooked thoroughly, basting several times with the pan juices.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Roasted Italian Lemon-Herb Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.8
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 172.7 mg
- Sodium 180.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 38.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning