Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This may also be made using a larger roasting chicken however the spice mixture should be increased and the cooking time --- use fresh lemon juice only for this, and for the best flavor remember to keep basting the chicken with the pan juices frequently during cooking --- this chicken is very good!
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (can use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mustard powder (can omit if desired)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 lemons, juice of, large whole
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 lemon, sliced in half (can use 2 lemons)
- In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning with seasoned salt, black pepper, mustard powder and garlic powder.
- Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons melted butter and the juice of 2 whole lemons (you may save the lemon skins and add to the cavity of the chicken if desired or discard).
- Wash the chicken thoroughly under cold water then pat dry.
- Place the chicken onto a rack that is fitted into a greased baking pan.
- Rub about 1 tablespoon or a little more of olive oil over the dry chicken.
- Sprinkle the inside cavity of the chicken with about 1 teaspoon seasoning mix.
- Place the lemon halves and onion inside the cavity (along with the lemon skins if desired).
- Tie the legs together with cotton butcher's string.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with the remaining spice mix (at this point you may cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours).
- Drizzle the olive oil/lemon juice mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree F oven to about 2 hours or until cooked thoroughly, basting several times with the pan juices.
taste really good it looked like the seasoning wasnt going to be enough but it is i did add a little more salt though. didnt use fresh lemons instead used lime juice still turned out good
I've made this twice and both times were excellent. I used a whole chicken and set it on quartered red potatoes to serve as my rack. I used 2 lemons, but wouldn't mind if it was more lemony. Next time I'm going to try these seasonings with skinless chicken breasts to indulge my want of lemon chicken. Thanks for another winner!
Great chicken recipe. We made it in our outdoor dutchoven and it was loved by all. Made for zaar stars.