Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
adapted from the Joy of Cooking. I love roasted garlic and this recipe uses chicken or vegetable stock as options for roasting it (this way, you don't have to ingest all that oil). Use French bread (for serving)...but I like to eat this plain. I have also used this on top of pizza with white sauce. You can also serve with olives and goat cheese or other soft white cheese...perfect for entertaining. YUM!
- 4 head garlic
- 473.18-709.77 ml water (use what you need to come 1/3 up the side of the heads) or 473.18-709.77 ml chicken stock (use what you need to come 1/3 up the side of the heads) or 473.18-709.77 ml vegetable stock (use what you need to come 1/3 up the side of the heads)
- 29.58 ml olive oil (if you wish to make this healthier) or 29.58 ml chicken stock (if you wish to make this healthier) or 29.58 ml vegetable stock (if you wish to make this healthier)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, for placing on top of garlic heads (optional)
- French bread (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut top third off garlic heads.
- Place cloves in 8x8 baking dish and add stock or water up to 1/3 up the sides of the heads.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil or stock or water over heads.
- Put thyme on top of each head.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake till garlic is tender and soft, around an hour.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Awesome! I served over crackers and cream cheese and everyone loved it! You can cut in half and use both sides!! ;)
Simply Wonderful! I only had two heads of garlic but it satisfied six people! I buttered and toasted french bread slices to spread it on. The taste was so mild and lovely! This is definately a keeper!!