Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not sure where I got this recipe and not sure of authenticity but it sure sounds good. Don't want to lose it.
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- salt, for seasoning chicken
- pepper, for seasoning chicken
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chervil, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- flour, for dusting
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- After washing chicken, wipe with paper towels and season the chicken and cavity with salt and pepper.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the parsley, chervil, chopped onion, butter, cumin, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt to a paste.
- Spread the paste carefully over the whole chicken with a spatula.
- Place a skewer through the wings of the chicken to secure them closely to the sides of the bird during cooking.
- Lay the chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Turn the bird over so that the breast is up and roast for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and turn down the heat to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, lightly dust the chicken breast with flour.
- Place chicken back in oven.
- Baste with pan juices and continue to roast for about 1 hour or until the chicken is done, and continue basting frequently during cooking time.
- When done, the juices will run clear when you push a skewer through the thickest part of the leg.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and carve.
- Serve immediately.