Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 4 shallots, 2 chopped and 2 sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (see Tip)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole orange, quartered and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt (for Top)
- Brush chicken on all sides with balsamic vinegar. In small bowl, combine butter, chopped shallots, garlic/Morton® Kosher Salt mixture*, orange zest and pepper. Spread mixture over chicken. Lightly pat to evenly coat chicken. Place the chicken on oiled rack in foil lined roasting pan. Fill chicken cavity with sliced shallots and orange pieces. Sprinkle top of chicken with 1/4 cup Morton® Kosher Salt.
- Roast uncovered at 425°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through and . (**iInternal temperature reaches 170°F for /white meat and 180°F for /dark meat**). Let rest 10 minutes; remove and discard salt crust. Cut into serving pieces. Serve with roasted potatoes.
- *Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Morton Kosher Salt over garlic cloves. Chop garlic with Morton® Kosher Salt until minced. Proceed with remaining spices as above. ·.
This was delicious and moist! My husband, who isn't a huge chicken fan, said 'this is the best chicken - chicken in a prime rib crust'.