Recipe by sarikat
This is seriously the best whole roasted chicken I have ever had. Substitute your favorite seasoning/rub for the poultry seasoning.
Top Review by Wildflour
The was hands down the best roast chicken I have ever made or eaten! The apples really make this chicken perfectly moist and adds the most wonderful flavor! I'll be making it this way from now on! thank you so very much! (I used a 5 lb. chicken, baked for 1 hr. and 40 minutes in my small roaster, still used 1 can broth and that was enough. I used a large fuji apple and had a few chunks left that i added to the rest of the veggies adding some celery that needed to be used up. I seasoned with seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, Italian seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper. I removed the veggies with a slotted spoon and thickened the broth with 1 Tbl. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbl. cold water over med/high heat and simmered, stirring for 2 minutes.) PURE. HEAVEN.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes
- 6 carrots
- 4 small onions
- 1 medium apple
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- nonstick cooking spray
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop apple and one onion into large chunks. Stuff into cavity of chicken along with the garlic (peeled). Save any apple chunks that won't fit.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken back-up into baking dish. Baste chicken liberally with olive oil, then sprinkle with dried seasoning of your choice.
- Chop the carrots into 1-1.5" pieces. Chop the potatoes and remaining onion into similar-sized pieces and place into baking dish around the chicken. Add any leftover apple.
- Pour half of the can of chicken broth over vegetables in the dish. Season vegetables with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-80 minutes, or 20 minutes per pound of chicken.
- Halfway through baking, add the remaining half can of chicken broth to the pan.
- Cool for 5 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, before serving.