Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Choose large onions for this, of coarse you may increase or reduce amounts to as many onions as desired, I have listed the garlic powder as optional we are a family of garlic-lovers so I add it in, chicken bouillon may be used in place of the beef --- the onions may be completely prepared well in advance, wrapped in foil and refrigerated until ready to grill, you can also make these in the oven :)
Top Review by Oat57
Very good. I followed the recipe exactly. My GF suggested that I use 2 beef bullion cubes the next time as the center of the onion held most of the flavor. I used a combination of charcoal and charwood to get the desired heat (500Â°) and it took about an hour to cook the large white onions. Thanks
- 6 large onions (remove the outer layer of skin)
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 beef bouillon cubes (or use chicken bouillon cubes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- garlic powder (optional, do not use garlic salt) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice a small section off of one end of each of the onions, then make a small hole into the center.
- Fill the center hole with 1 bouillon cube and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Sprinkle the tops with fresh ground black pepper and a small amount of garlic powder if desired (do not add any extra salt).
- Replace the tops of the onions.
- Wrap each onion in heavy foil.
- Place the onions on a preheated grill over indirect heat.
- Close the lid.
- Cook for about 1 hour or until the onions are tender (cooking time will vary slightly depending on the size of onions that you use).
- Remove the tops and cut into small pieces and serve with the juice from the foil.