Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is a recipe I've developed over the years. It's always a big hit at family BBQs. I took a batch over to a neighbor's cook out and the lady of the house took one bite and exclaimed "There's a whole lotta love in this potato salad."
- Add potatoes to boiling, salted water. Once water returns to a brisk boil, stir occasionally, and after 4 or 5 minutes check for doneness often. I found the best way is to take one of the larger pieces out and taste. As soon as the sample piece no longer has a raw potato taste, but is still firm, remove, drain, and immerse in cold water to stop cooking. Chill.
- Mix mayo, mustard, pepper, salt, and dill.
- Chop onion to a medium dice.
- Dice firm tomato and squeeze off juice.
- Dice bell pepper.
- Squeeze off juice from pickle relish.
- Once potatoes are chilled, gently fold in the onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
- Gently fold in the sauce. Don't add all at once. Add until you have the desired consistency.
- Remove yokes from 3 of the eggs and crumble into the salad. (Adding extra crumbled hard boiled egg yokes is also a great way dry up the salad should it be too soupy).
- Dice the whites and add to salad.
- Slice the remaining 2 hard boiled eggs using an egg slicer.
- Pour salad into serving container and spread top smooth.
- Top with egg slices, then sprinkle on paprika.
I was ask to make a potato salad for a BBQ and this was definitely the right choice. It was great! (and I'm not a big potato salad fan) My 12 y/o even asked for me to make it again. It was very easy to prepare. I changed it a little due to not having all the ingredients on hand. I used parsley instead of dill, dijon mustard, chopped dill pickle slices versus the sweet pickle (per husband request) and added more mayo to sauce. It tasted a little to salty. The veggies also helped even out the taste once they were added. I used a red bell pepper which gave gave it color and a good taste. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for a great recipe!!
A great potatoe salad. I loved the flavor the dill gave the salad. The tomatoe was a unique addition. I used a plum type tomato, next time I will use a regular tomato for more flavor. Add all the dressing. I used all, but perhaps 3 TBS and felt it was slightly dry. Mixed it to what I thought was the correct consistency. Thanks for posting. I will definitely make again.