Recipe by Sharon123
Oregano and paprika enhance the flavors of this wholesome recipe.
Top Review by yooper
This turned out to be surprisingly good. My first venture into "healthy eating" via Recipezaar. My supermarket didn't have frozen lima beans and I didn't want to use the canned ones so I substituted 1 cup of canned black beans. The cheese called for added a nice creaminess to the overall texture. With the black beans and cheese I would think you could add chili powder or cumin and take this one South of the border!
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or you may use chicken or beef bouillon cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup regular brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen lima beans
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup provolone cheese or 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (3 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan bring water and bouillon cubes to boiling, stirring till dissolved.
- Stir in barley, rice, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 mins.
- or until grains are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, cook beans, covered, in 1/2 cup boiling water for 5 mins.
- Add carrot, celery, and onion.
- Cook, covered, 5 mins.
- more or till vegs.
- are tender.
- Spoon barley mixture and vegs.
- into a 2 qt.
- Bake, covered, in a 350* oven for 15 mins.
- Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes more or till cheese melts and mixture is heated through.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.