Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is so healthy and tasty too! For the sprouted grains you may use wheat berries,quinoa, rye, spelt, etc., even lentils! Mix and match grain sprouts to your heart's content. Adapted from the SproutPeople. When using whole wheat and/or rye flours you might add wheat gluten - at a rate of 1/8 cup per cup of flour - as it often produces a nicer loaf. Enjoy!
- To soften yeast:.
- Combine in a large bowl:.
- 2 1/2 cups warm water.
- 2 scant Tbs. active dry yeast.
- Allow the yeast to proof (bubble) for 5 minutes.
- Stir in:.
- 1/2 cup oil.
- 1/2 cup honey.
- 1 Tbs. salt.
- 2 cups sprouted grains, whole or ground lightly.
- 4 cups flour (any combo of wheat, rye and white you like) Beat well. Cover and let this “sponge” sit 45-60 minutes.
- Stir down and gradually add:.
- 3-4 cups flour (any combination). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place dough into a greased bowl, turn it over and around to coat all of the dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (60-90 minutes).
- Knead dough down in the bowl, divide and shape into 2-3 oblong loaves. Place in well greased loaf pans and cover.
- Let rise 60 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Bake at 375º for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.