Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
I like to use whole grains when baking, this works really well and makes a great cookie. my kids love them.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- combine flour, salt, cream of tarter and soda. set aside.
- cream butter, sugar and molasses. Then add vanilla, eggs and flax, mix well after each ingredient.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until combined (do not over mix).
- refrigerate for at least an hour. I wrap it in plastic wrap. (It can be refrigerated for up to a week).
- combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- scoop a teaspoon amount of dough and form a ball. Dip into cinnamon mixture and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- bake for 8-11 minutes.
Wow these are good!! I didn't have any molasses so I used dark corn syrup. I also used a little more flax meal than was called for, to use it up. We really really enjoyed these. They definitely taste like snickerdoodles, with a little bit of extra crunch.