Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Got this from a desertculinary.blogspot.com (Adapted from King Arthur Flour BC) I find these very tastey and filling. And not dense/ heavy at all but light even if with Whole Wheat flour. NOTE: i only got 9 regular sized out of of the supposed 12 muffins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- In a medium bowl, mix milk, oil, eggs, brown sugar and molasses - whisking to combine.
- Stir in the wheat bran and oats. Allow this to set for 15 minutes to soften the oats.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the raisins. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 cups.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- When done, remove the muffins from the pans as soon as you can handle them.
- Try not to leave them in the pan for longer than 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
These were fabulous while still warm out of the oven. Had no problem with sticking to muffin tins, as I did not use liners, just sprayed the muffin tin as directed in the recipe. I used applesauce instead of oil, subbed egg beaters for eggs, and used 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar instead of 1/2 cup brown sugar. Absoulutey wonderful! Used jumbo golden raisins. Will make these again soon. (Oh, this actually made 16 muffins for me!) thank you!
These were dry and not as flavorful as we would have liked. They also stuck to the muffin liners I used. I actually used King Arthur's whole wheat flour but I think the texture would improve on these if whole wheat pastry flour were used.
Very good! Used honey for the molasses & added some Splenda & used 2 tsp cinn. I don't like raisins so I left them out. Baked up nice & fluffy-very soft, too! Used applesauce for the oil, too. Loved the healthy ingredients!