You like banana bread, right? How about pumpkin bread? This dense, moist, 100% whole wheat bread combines those two flavors in one tasty loaf. Note: Using a scant cup (7 1/2 ounces) pumpkin is fine; that way, you can get two recipes out of a single 15-ounce can of puree.
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup mashed banana, the riper the better
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup diced pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, honey, eggs, pumpkin, banana, orange juice or water. and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, stirring to combine.
- Mix in the nuts, if you're using them.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the loaf with Demerara sugar, if desired. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Bake the bread for 55 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean; and that same tester inserted about 1/2" into the top of the loaf doesn't encounter any totally unbaked batter.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a rack. When it's completely cool, wrap it well in plastic wrap, and store it overnight before serving.