Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are real tasty and also healthy! Prep time includes rising time.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oats, uncooked
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine water, honey, and butter in a small saucepan; heat until butter melts.
- Cool to 120°F (really warm but not too hot).
- Combine wheat flour, oats, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl; stir well.
- Gradually add hot liquid mixture, beating at low speed of an electric mixer 1 minute.
- Add egg,and beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Gradually add flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
- Shape dough into 24 balls; place in a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
I made these to serve with Charlotte J's Beef Lentil Soup Beef Lentil Soup and they went really well together. These were quick and easy to make, in fact, I didn't begin mix them up until I had the soup coming to a boil to be reduced to simmer for an hour. Once the soup was done, I covered it and allowed to cool enough to serve while these baked for their required 20 minutes. Timing was perfect! Thank you for sharing a really nutritious roll recipe, as well a delightfully flavored and textured Sharon!!! I will certainly be making these again!
Love these quick rolls!!! Everyone requests these rolls. Super easy and one pan.
These turned out great, I made mine in my breadman then followed directions to shape and let rise. I halved recipe and got 12 regular sized rolls. I wanted a great tasting dinner roll that didn't use all white flour. Thanks