Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs 24 mins
It has become our favorite. I have been trying to find something healthier than store bread without the fats and oils and lucked into this recipe the first few tries. Competes nicely with the reg whole wheat recipes and gives a nice brown bread with a good sandwich crumb. The Original that I modified was from http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-machine/whole-grain-oatmeal- bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 2 tablespoons apple butter or 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons vital gluten
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- Follow your machines instructions and bake on wheat setting. This is for a two pound loaf. You can easily adjust by entering 16 servings in your MC file then adjust to 12 servings for a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
- My notes: It may be quirk of my machine but when I adjust I still have to use 1 1/2 cups water for the smaller loaf. Also, due to my machine's quirks I use 3 tsps of yeast for a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
- Soymilk can be used instead of water. I use apple blueberry puree from the babyfood section. I also use Golden Syrup [Kings Molasses for those who can get it] Tried with whole wheat only. It gives a nice wheatish taste. You won't taste the apple blueberry or the syrup. It simply adds to the rich taste of the recipe. It has become our favorite. I have been trying to find something healthier than store bread and lucked into this the first few tries. Competes nicely with the reg whole wheat recipes. Ratio of Gluten used was 1 tbs per cup of flour [whole wheat].
- Flours suggested: whole wheat, oat, barley, pastry, 12-grain, etc. or a mixture of several).