These bars are a healthy on the go snack. My picky kids love them and my even pickier hubby loves them! They taste great warm or cold out of the fridge. Portable and packed with nutrition these bars are perfect for families on the go!
- 2 cups puffed brown rice cereal (unsweetened)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- Combine cereal, oats, nuts, seeds, coconut and fruit in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the peanut butter, syrup, and vanilla in a small sauce pan until warm. Do not boil.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Mix well while syrup is still warm. I use my hands as they are the best tool for this mixing job!
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan.
- Pack the mixture down firmly with moist fingers or the bottom of another 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- The chocolate lover should sprinkle on the mini chocolate chips at this point and press them in firmly.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into 24 bars.
- Wrap individually and store in fridge.
- I have kept these in the fridge for 2 weeks and they still taste fabulous!
I haven't yet made these, but wondering if I could cut down on the honey and perhaps add chia seeds or maybe almond flour which might help bind them together. I am wanting to be able to take them with me when I travel and wanting something that doesn't fall apart. Anyone have ideas on improving this recipe for that purpose???
Very nice bar, but did unfortunately not stick as much as i wanted them too so they crumbled a lot.. but taste was still wonderfull
These bars were very tasty, but made a very thin bar when pressed down. I made 2/3 of a pan instead so I could have a thicker bar. I also omitted the coconut and almonds and added walnuts instead. Thanks for a nice, versatile recipe.