Recipe by Mims & Squims
Adapted from my Granny's recipe, this one allows for less fat, cholesterol, & calories than the original. Note: time includes 1 hour dough is in fridge before cooking
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons egg whites, beaten
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon flax seed meal
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream shortening & gradually add sugar.
- Blend in egg whites & molasses.
- Sift flour once then sift flour with salt, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, & ginger. Stir in flax seed meal.
- Combine with shortening mixture & mix well.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Shape dough into small balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet 12-15 minutes.