Recipe by sheepdoc
I modified this from a recipe in the Costco magazine. The original called for quinoa but that was $11/lb. The recipe also called for serving this on a bed of baby spinach with cheese and avocado.
Top Review by loof
I was so intrigued by this recipe that I had to try it and I'm glad I did - it's terrific! I used yellow onion instead of red, and canned rotel tomatoes with chilis for the tomato. I stirred the cooked bulgar into the bean mixture until it was well-mixed in and then served it warm over lettuce, topped with a little shredded cheese and sour cream. It made a great hearty taco salad; I could see this mixture being used in a taco or burrito too. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
- 177.44 ml Bulgar wheat
- 354.88 ml water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 7.39 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomatoes, diced (or canned)
- 14.79 ml lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bulgar wheat in water with buillion cubes according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add spices, garlic, and chopped pepper and saute 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in black beans, tomatoes, and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.