I modified this from a recipe in the Costco magazine. The original called for quinoa but that was $11/lb. The recipe also called for serving this on a bed of baby spinach with cheese and avocado.
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, diced (or canned)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cook bulgar wheat in water with buillion cubes according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add spices, garlic, and chopped pepper and saute 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in black beans, tomatoes, and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
I was so intrigued by this recipe that I had to try it and I'm glad I did - it's terrific! I used yellow onion instead of red, and canned rotel tomatoes with chilis for the tomato. I stirred the cooked bulgar into the bean mixture until it was well-mixed in and then served it warm over lettuce, topped with a little shredded cheese and sour cream. It made a great hearty taco salad; I could see this mixture being used in a taco or burrito too. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Scaled down for one, this was so good! Instead of black beans, I used bbq pinto beans. Thanks! Made for the Best of 2013 game.