1/1 Photo of Whole Grain Loaf
2 hrs 25 mins
Princess Pea's Note:
On a recent trip to my mom's, she had made this bread. We enjoyed it at breakfast, lunch & dinner! This recipe is from Taste of Home. Note: When Mom made this the first time, as written, she found the oats made the bread chewy. The next time (the one I had) she did not use the oats, and liked the texture much better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 ounces active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons oil (not olive)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups general purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup oats (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2-1 cup general purpose white flour, as needed
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (approx.)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (approx.)
- 1Gently blend yeast into warm water until dissolved.
- 2Add cottage cheese, honey, oil, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups white general purpose flour. Beat with wooden spoon until smooth.
- 3Gradually beat in whole wheat flour, rye flour, oats (if using) and wheat germ.
- 4Add additional all-purpose flour as needed to make a soft dough (she used about a 1/2 cup).
- 5Knead about 8-10 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, turning dough so that the top is greased, too. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 75 minutes.
- 7Punch down dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 8Shape dough into a ball.
- 9Grease a baking sheet (cookie sheet will work). Cover baking sheet lightly with cornmeal.
- 10Place loaf on prepared baking sheet.
- 11Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- 12Beat an egg white with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Brush this mixture over the loaf.
- 13Sprinkle loaf with sesame seeds, if desired.
- 14Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Grain Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (922 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2194.8
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 197.3 mg
- Sodium 2866.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 370.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.4 g
- Sugars 75.4 g
- Protein 83.3 g