1/1 Photo of Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread
This super easy and quick to make soda bread tastes lovely and is the perfect accompaniement to soup or stew or some hearty cheese. I like that there is neither sugar nor fat in this recipe and it still comes out moist and yummy.
My Private Note
small l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a big bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center.
- 2Add buttermilk and stir to combine. Knead into a smooth, shaggy dough. If the dough is too wet, add more flour, if it is too dry, add a tad more buttermilk.
- 3On a lightly floured surface roll into a ball. Place on a paper-lined baking sheet and slightly pat down.
- 4Make a cross on top using a sharp knife. Sprinkle some flour on top.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for about 25 minutes checking in near the end to prevent overbrowning. If a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, it is ready. Alternatively you can tap it on the bottom and if it sounds hollow, it is ready.
- 6Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 7This is best eaten the day it is made, but will keep wrapped in a clean tea towel for a few days.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 833.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.1 mg
- Sodium 2298.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 169.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.9 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 35.5 g