Recipe by AmyZoe
Don't dismiss this recipe as healthy but tasteless because this is probably the best waffle recipe I've tried in a very long time. The texture is not grainy but just right and the flavor of honey and oats make it more like dessert than breakfast. I used oatmeal and threw in some flax seed because I didn't have wheat germ. I also used a local Idaho honey and diluted some whipping cream (maybe that was the secret) and added a splash of vinegar to the diluted milk to make buttermilk. I'll definitely be making these again, and I think I'll throw some fresh fruit on top. This recipe came from Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes.
Top Review by Bobbin
At first these tasty waffles were sticking to my waffle maker even though it is nonstick and I was spraying with olive oil. About halfway through, the problem resolved itself. These were very good and I like the nutrition in them. I used all whole wheat flour and skim milk in place of the buttermilk. I also used applesauce in place of the melted butter to bring down the fat and calorie count. My children ate them up and for that reason I will be making them again! Next time I think some mashed banana or some apple and cinnamon would be great additions. Thanks for the recipe!
- 236.59 ml oatmeal (or 1 cup natural wheat and barley cereal)
- 29.58 ml toasted wheat germ
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 59.14 ml honey
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour or 118.29 ml rye flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat waffle iron. Heat oven to 225.
- Mix cereal and wheat germ in a large bowl.
- Beat butter, eggs, and honey in a second bowl.
- Add to cereal.
- Mix flours, baking soda, and salt in a third bowl.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermlk to cereal, stirring. Batter will be very stiff.
- Make a total of 6 waffles in waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Stack between sheets of waxed paper on baking sheet and keep warm in heated 225 oven.
- Serve waffles with butter and syrup.