Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This mix is great to have on hand for quick, delicious pancakes. Keep in mind that 1 cup of the mix, when combined with the egg, oil, and water, will make 5 to 6 pancakes. To grind the flax seeds, simply use a coffee or spice grinder. This would make a great gift in a basket with a pancake turner, skillet, syrup, etc. Taken from Whole Foods.
For the pancake mix
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax seed, finely ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground cornmeal (not corn grits or polenta)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar (or turbinado sugar or dark brown sugar -optional)
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the pancakes (use 1 cup prepared flax seed pancake mix)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- For the pancake mix combine flax seeds, flour, cornmeal, oats, dry milk, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the pancakes, put 1 cup of the pancake mix, egg, oil and water into a large bowl and stir together with a fork just until combined.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/3 cup of the pancake batter onto a greased griddle and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and cooked through.
The whole family loves 'em! We keep a bin of the mix in the freezer at the ready. One modification we make is to mash a banana and mix it with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla and substitute it for the oil and then use a 1/4 cup of water to accommodate. Of course frozen blueberries always make it a treat. Truly a hearty, very filling, flavorful pancake.
Yummy hearty pancakes! Love them with some warmed am on top. I skipped the powdered milk, and just used milk when I made up the pancakes. I'll be putting together a quadruple batch today! Also, ground flax goes rancid very quickly (and the Omega-3's spoil even faster) so I would suggest storing this in the freezer - but that's just my two cents!
Sooo good! I love the flavor and texture of these. Thanks for the delicious recipe!