Recipe by peachesNcream
I love my bread machine! I created this recipe because I wanted a healthy everyday bread. I buy whole flaxseeds and grind them very fine in a clean coffee-grinder. I use some White Whole Wheat flour in the recipe to yield a slightly milder flavor than the traditional Hard Red Whole Wheat found in most grocery stores. You can substitute regular whole wheat if you don't have it on hand. The final product is a light & fluffy healthful bread with a slight nutty flavor. I have a 1-1/2 lb. bread machine and it rises to the top of the pan, making for a good-sized loaf.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons non-fat powdered milk
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed (finely ground)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients into your bread machine pan in the order listed by your manufacturer.
- I add them in the order listed above.
- Use your "basic bake" and "light" crust setting.
- Note: the dough may be a bit wet. The whole grains absorb some of the moisture during the kneading and rising (namely the oats). Adding additional flour will yield a denser bread.
- Remove bread from pan promptly after baking and cool on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!