Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Bon Appetit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup diced dried apple
- 1⁄2 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 large egg
- coarse sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
- Using back of fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cranberries and apples and toss to distribute evenly.
- Whisk 1/2 cup buttermilk, juice concentrate and egg to blend in a small bowl.
- Gradually add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, tossing until evenly moistened.
- Turn dough to a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead for 2 or 3 turns to bind.
- Divide dough in half. Pat out each half to a 6-inch diameter, 3/4-inch thick round. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Arrange scones on prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Brush scones with buttermilk to glaze, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake scones until puffed and brown and tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Serve warm.