Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
If you have time to make your own crackers, these are vastly superior to anything you will currently find in the store. The flour is soaked first to inactive enzyme inhibitors and reduce anti nutrients. From Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon.
- 2 1⁄2 cups freshly ground spelt flour or 2 1⁄2 cups kamut flour or 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour or 2 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup melted coconut oil
- unbleached white flour
- Mix flour with yogurt and leave in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place soaked flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/4 cup coconut oil in food processor and process until well blended.
- Roll out to about 1/16 inch on a pastry cloth dusted with white flour to prevent sticking.
- Cut into 2-inch squares with a knife.
- Place on oiled cookie sheet, brush with remaining coconut oil and bake for several hours until completely dry and crisp.
- Store in an air tight container IN THE REFRIGERATOR.