Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- to taste nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium size bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oat bran, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the egg whites.
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and set over moderate heat. When the skillet is hot, cook the pancakes 4 at a time, using 1/4 cup batter for each.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on one side or until bubbles appear on the surface; turn, then cook 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side and cook through.
My kids and I love this recipe. They gobble them us as fast I can cook them. It is so easy to make, too. I use unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil and skim or 1% milk in place of the buttermilk. This is my base recipe and then I will add a splash of vanilla and some fruit, such as mashed banana or chopped apple with some cinnamon, These are yummy and I love the fact that they are whole grain!
amazing!!!!! fluff the whites! don't skip that step-- it makes the pancakes super fluffy and filling. I was scared to make some "healthy diet" pancakes and didn't think they could compare to the real deal, but these were even better than my usual unhealthy pancakes! Thank you!
These are really good pancakes. I made them twice now; the first time I separated the eggs and whipped the whites. The second time I just threw the eggs in with the wet ingredients. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. The second time I also replaced the oil with unsweetened applesauce and they were perfect. I like this healthy alternative to regular pancakes and my kids love them, too. This morning I added bananas, chopped pecans, and a splash of vanilla. Thanks for a great recipe!