Top Review by Bobbin
My kids and I love this recipe. They gobble them us as fast I can cook them. It is so easy to make, too. I use unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil and skim or 1% milk in place of the buttermilk. This is my base recipe and then I will add a splash of vanilla and some fruit, such as mashed banana or chopped apple with some cinnamon, These are yummy and I love the fact that they are whole grain!
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- to taste nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oat bran, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the egg whites.
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and set over moderate heat. When the skillet is hot, cook the pancakes 4 at a time, using 1/4 cup batter for each.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on one side or until bubbles appear on the surface; turn, then cook 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side and cook through.