Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is a spin on a recipe from a friend
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats (or instant)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 banana (really ripe, black even)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- combine dry ingredients- everything from flour through sugar.
- stir together wet ingredients- banana through vanilla.
- toss blueberries and walnuts into the flour mix and stir, then stir in wet ingredients until just combined.
- pour into muffin tin and bake 18-20 minutes at 350.
- cool completely and eat (or eat while still a little warm, but careful, they can stick to the paper liners if you use them and they are still too warm!).
I was going to add this, but was checking if it was out here already. I have made these for a decade, but I also add a small container of apple sauce (3.9 oz. natural), and the kids get a few chocolate chips. They taste great and are good for you. I make an extra batch and freeze them for the week.