Recipe by cwm
Yummy whole grain apple pancakes with a low Glycemic Index without butter and syrup calculated into Nutritional Analysis.
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup whole wheat graham flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large granny smith apples
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop apples into 1/4" to 1/8" square pieces and set aside.
- In a 10 to 12 quart bowl combine flours, corn meal, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients until evenly distributed.
- In an 8 quart bowl add and beat eggs.
- Add honey, oil, vanilla and apple sauce to eggs. Mix until well blended.
- Add buttermilk to wet ingredients and combine.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold in dry ingredients. Mix until ingredients are just blended (do not over mix or the pancakes will be flat.).
- Gently fold in diced apples to the batter.
- Ladle batter onto a griddle or large frying pan.
- Cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until edges become dry and bubbly.
- Flip cakes and continue to cook for an additional 3 or 4 minutes or until done.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
- Top with whipped cream (optional).
- NOTE: Keep extra pancakes in refrigerator or freezer. Warm or thaw in the toaster for a quick weekend style breakfast any day of the week!