Recipe by Mims & Squims
Healthier version of an easy favorite! Or create your own with cream soda, cherry 7-up, fresca...the possibilities are endless!
- 1 cup light margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 3 cups whole wheat flour or 3 cups brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soda pop (7-Up)
- 1⁄4 cup soda pop (7-Up)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F Spray 10" tibe pan with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly coat with flour.
- Combine margarine, shortening, sugar, vanilla and almond extract with electric mixer. Beat 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs & egg whites, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Add to margarine/sugar mixture alternately with 1 cup 7 UP, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake 1 hr 45 minute.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Make glaze: Stir together 1/4 c 7 UP & 1/2 c sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 to 2 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Use toothpick to poke holes in top of warm cake. Spoon glaze over cake & allow to cool.