Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use a navel orange, as they are seedless and juicy. Organic oranges should be used, as conventionally grown ones have a lot of pesticides in their peels. Adapted from "Living the G. I. Diet". They will keep up to 2 days, otherwise freeze them for up to a month.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (not the bran cereal, the real thing)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 whole navel orange
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup non-hydrogenated soft margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour though salt) and whisk to combine.
- Scrub the orange and cut into 8 wedges, peel and all. Place in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, nearly a puree. Add the milk through vanilla and pulse until combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide into 12 greased or paper-lined mufffin cups and bake until golden and firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.