Recipe by Dominick & Amanda
I made this as a side dish for Thanksgiving this year. Everyone thought it was really good. The nutmeg gave it a unique flavor but you can also omit the nutmeg and try using other spices (rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.) if you like. I also made homemade pie crust. YUM!
Top Review by jlallan
I found this recipe on Whole Foods' site originally and LOVE IT. Vegetarians and meat eaters alike will enjoy it. I use whatever veggies I have in the house, fresh or frozen. I also use Trader Joe's pie crusts (they are tasty and vegetarian--no lard). So yummy with a glass of red wine and a side salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup canned organic soybeans
- 1 cup organic carrot, diced
- 1 cup organic onion, chopped
- 1 cup organic sweet corn (I used frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 cup organic broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup organic red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb fresh spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
- 2 organic garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 2 frozen pie crusts (or recipe for 2-crust pie)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 1 cup cheese, substitute
- 2 teaspoons organic sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute vegetables in olive oil until tender-crisp. Add garlic, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and pecans. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until the flavors blend.
- Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with one prepared crust.
- Layer the vegetables with the cheese (beginning with cheese and ending with vegetables).
- Top with another crust, seal with a fork and trim excess pie dough. With a sharp knife, poke vent holes in the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes or until crust browns. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- **NOTE: If you decide to make the veggie pie ahead of time and freeze, cover well with plastic wrap. No need to thaw before baking but do cover the pie loosely with foil for the first 10 minutes of cooking. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the crust browns. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.